GRV’s Desexing and Dental Scheme
GRV’s number one priority is the welfare of our greyhounds, both in the industry and in the community. To support participant rehoming efforts, compliance with desexing requirements, and overall greyhound health in retirement, GRV has launched a Desexing and Dental Scheme that provides funding towards the cost of desexing and dental treatment for retired pet greyhounds. Funding is also available to desex a greyhound that is going to continue to race.
Eligibility criteria and conditions
Scheme funding is for BOTH desexing and dental treatment, however dental-only applications will be accepted for greyhounds that have already been desexed outside of the scheme, provided GRV has evidence of desexing (e.g. a desexing certificate is supplied with the application).
To be approved for the scheme, unless otherwise approved by GRV, ALL the following criteria must be met:
- The greyhound must be in the care of a Victorian-registered participant.
- Either the greyhound’s last racing owner was Victorian-registered, or if not, the greyhound must have been raced in Victoria for at least 3 months prior to retirement under a Victorian trainer.
- Desexing and dental treatment must be completed at the same time, unless:
- the veterinarian certifies the greyhound’s teeth will not require dental treatment for at least 12 months, or
- the veterinarian certifies the greyhound’s current health requires the treatments to be performed separately (in which case funding is only available after both procedures have been completed), or
- the greyhound has previously been desexed and only requires dental treatment.
- The nominated veterinarian must be located and registered in Victoria or be a GRV-approved border clinic.
GRV’s Desexing and Dental Scheme offers a capped contribution towards the cost of desexing and dental treatment, payable direct to the veterinarian (the owner can use a veterinarian of their choice). GRV’s contribution will cover the cost of the combined treatment in most circumstances, however the pet owner will be responsible for the payment of costs above GRV’s contribution.
Scheme contribution rates are:
Desexing and dental
- $400 (incl GST) for males
- $500 (incl GST) for females or cryptorchid males (one or both testicles retained)
Dental-only if previously desexed
- $400 (incl GST)
Application process (participants) Desexing and Dental Application Form: pdf online
To apply for the scheme, the pet owner of the greyhound must:
- determine which veterinary clinic they would like to use and ideally schedule a surgery date; and
- submit a completed application form by email to [email protected], ideally at least 5 working days before the surgery.
Verbal applications will be accepted by phoning the Greyhound Welfare and Rehoming department on 03 8329 1100.
GRV will review the application and, if approved, email a voucher to the nominated clinic prior to the scheduled date of the surgery (with a copy sent to the pet owner).
If the application is not approved, GRV will notify the applicant within 1 working day of the application being received.
Voucher redemption process (veterinary clinics)
To redeem the voucher, the veterinary clinic must:
- Complete both procedures.
- Complete the Desexing and Dental Certificate (page 2 of the GRV-issued voucher).
- Raise an invoice billing GRV for the surgery, up to the value of the voucher.
- Email completed certificate and invoice to [email protected].
- If applicable, invoice the owner of the greyhound for any costs above the maximum value of the voucher.
To review frequently asked questions please click on the links below
For more information about the GRV Desexing and Dental Scheme, or if you would like to discuss an application, please contact Greyhound Welfare and Rehoming on 03 8329 1100.
For more information on the importance of desexing.
For more information on the importance of oral health care.