GRV’s Desexing and Dental Scheme – commences 1 July 2021
GRV’s number one priority is the welfare of our greyhounds, both in the industry and in the community. To support participant rehoming efforts, compliance with desexing requirements, and overall greyhound health in retirement, GRV has launched a Desexing and Dental Scheme that provides funding towards the cost of desexing and dental treatment for retired pet greyhounds.
Eligibility criteria and conditions
Scheme funding is for BOTH desexing and dental treatment, however dental-only applications will be accepted for greyhounds that have already been desexed, provided GRV has evidence of desexing (e.g. a desexing certificate is supplied with the application).
To be approved for the scheme, ALL the following criteria must be met:
- The greyhound must be retired as a pet in FastTrack to a Victorian-registered participant.
- The greyhound must be in the care of a Victorian-registered participant.
- Either the greyhound’s last racing owner was Victorian-registered, or if not, the greyhound must have been raced in Victoria for at least 3 months prior to retirement under a Victorian trainer.
- Desexing and dental treatment must be completed at the same time, unless:
- the veterinarian certifies the greyhound’s teeth will not require dental treatment for at least 12 months, or
- the veterinarian certifies the greyhound’s current health requires the treatments to be performed separately, or
- the greyhound has previously been desexed and only requires dental treatment.
- The nominated veterinarian must be located and registered in Victoria or be a GRV-approved border clinic.
- The applicant agrees to pay any additional costs above GRV’s capped contribution.
GRV’s Desexing and Dental Scheme offers a capped contribution towards the cost of desexing and dental treatment, payable direct to the veterinarian (the owner can use a veterinarian of their choice). It is anticipated that GRV’s contribution will cover the cost of the combined treatment in many circumstances, however the pet owner will be responsible for the payment of costs above GRV’s contribution.
Scheme contribution rates are:
- $400 (incl GST) – males for desexing and dental
- $500 (incl GST) – females or cryptorchid males (one or both retained testicles) for desexing and dental
- $400 (incl GST) – dental-only treatment if previously desexed
To apply for the scheme, the pet owner of the greyhound must:
- schedule surgery with any veterinary clinic, then
- at least 5 working days before the surgery, submit a completed application form, along with any additional information (if required), by email to [email protected].
GRV will review the application and, if approved, email a voucher to the nominated clinic/veterinarian prior to the scheduled date of the surgery (with a copy sent to the pet owner).
If the application is not approved, GRV will notify the applicant at least 24 hours prior to the day of surgery.
Voucher redemption process (veterinary clinics)
To redeem the voucher, the veterinary clinic must:
- Complete the surgery.
- Complete the Desexing and Dental Certificate (page 2 of the GRV-issued voucher).
- Raise an invoice billing GRV for the surgery, up to the maximum value of the voucher.
- Email complete certificate and invoice to [email protected].
- Invoice the owner of the greyhound for any costs above the maximum value of the voucher.