Good breeding knowledge and excellent breeding planning are key to the sustainability and success of Victoria’s greyhound racing industry.
For those breeders looking to update or refresh their knowledge, or for anyone interested in learning more about breeding, whelping and raising greyhound puppies, the information in the booklets below are based on the Breeders Education Program that new breeders complete for registration as a breeder.
There are eight booklets in the series; each of which can be viewed or downloaded from the links below:
- Booklet 1: Thinking About Breeding Greyhounds
- Booklet 2: Developing a Breeding Program – Understanding Genetics
- Booklet 3: Starting a Breeding Program
- Booklet 4: Care and Husbandry in the Breeding Environment
- Booklet 5: Reproductive Anatomy – Getting Pregnant
- Booklet 6: Pregnancy
- Booklet 7: Whelping
- Booklet 8: Care and Early Development
Further Resources for Breeders
According to the Code of Practice for the Keeping of Racing Greyhounds and the Establishment Health Management Plan, every litter bred must have a breeding plan completed prior to service. This must be kept as part of your records. To support participants in the development of these plans, we have provided a breeding plan guide to help you breed successful racing pups.
In addition, GRV is always developing new resources to support breeders, on topics ranging from planning a litter, choosing the female and sire, to analysing the outcomes of a breeding program.