Greyhound Racing Victoria Policies
The GRV rules require that greyhound racing participants comply with GRV policies.
These policies, relevant to participants, have been issued by the GRV Board:
- Rehoming Guidelines (PDF) Effective 1st May 2022
- Social Media Guidelines (PDF) Effective 1st May 2022
- Barking Muzzles Guidance (PDF) Effective 1st May 2022
- Racing Dress Standards Guidelines (PDF) Effective 1st May 2022
- Code of Practice
- Swabbing Policy (PDF) Effective 1st September 2019
- Penalty Guidelines – Prohibited Substances (PDF) Effective 14th Feb 2019
- Penalty Guidelines – Greyhound Welfare (PDF)
- Prosecution Guidelines (PDF)
- Track Injury Claim Policy (PDF) Effective June 2017
- Non-starter Claim Policy (PDF) Effective June 2017
- Hot Weather Policy (PDF) Effective 25 October 2021
- Transport Policy (PDF) Effective 25 October 2021
- Temporary overnight housing of greyhounds in stationary transport vehicles
- Steward Policy (PDF)
- Trialling Policy (PDF)
- Hidez Compression Suit and Thunder Jacket (PDF)
- Approved Lures (PDF)
- Making and Handling Protected Disclosures Procedure (PDF)
Greyhound Racing Victoria Guidance
GRV publishes a range of documents that provide guidance obligations (particularly for the industry) in more detail.
To provide greater clarity, GRV will be:
- gradually increasing the different types of guidance available
- including a clear statement in each document (when it is next reviewed) about its purpose and legal status.
Guidance currently available includes:
Greyhound Owner and Trainer Agreement
- Greyhound Owner and Trainer Agreement (PDF) – Often Owners and Trainers enter into verbal agreements, thinking that they have a shared understanding of how issues will be managed. However, if any issues arise later, this can be problematic for both sides as it can be very difficult to prove what was agreed to. While not mandatory, GRV strongly recommends that all owners and trainers enter into a written agreement to help avoid disputes in the future. To help participants to document the terms of training arrangements GRV has developed a template Owner and Trainer Agreement. This template can be used by both owners and trainers, and amended as needed. If you are unsure about the effects of the template agreements or would like support in developing one to suit your circumstances, GRV recommends that you seek independent legal advice.To download click here (PDF).
- UPDATE: Penalty Guidelines – Prohibited-Substances (PDF) Effective 14 Feb 2019
- Feeding, Medication & Supplement Guidelines – providing guidance to ensure greyhounds are presented for racing drug-free.
Hot Weather Transport
National Greyhound Welfare Strategy
In May 2014, the industry’s first ever National Greyhound Welfare Strategy was launched. The strategy aims to ensure uniform high standards of care, participant education and accountability and controlling body enforcement are in place to achieve the best possible outcome for all our greyhounds. More information can be found here.